Mohammad Rizwan and Kusal Mendis smashed 18 fours each in a record-breaking run chase as Sri Lanka defeated Pakistan by seven wickets in the second ODI match at the R. Premadasa Stadium in Colombo.
Two of the best batsmen in the world are Kusal Mendis and Muhammad Rizwan. Both of them are renowned for their rapid runs scored and aggressive playing styles. Rizwan and Mendis gave a batting masterclass in the second ODI between Sri Lanka and Pakistan, blasting 18 fours apiece in a run chase that set a new record.
Pakistan won the toss and elected to bat first. They posted a total of 300-6, thanks to half-centuries from Babar Azam, Fakhar Zaman, and Mohammad Nawaz. Sri Lanka got off to a good start in their chase, with Pathum Nissanka and Danushka Gunathilaka scoring quickfire fifties.
The Sri Lankan innings was then elevated to a new level by Mendis and Rizwan’s partnership at the wicket. They frequently smashed boundaries as they attacked the Pakistani bowling right away. Mendis and Rizwan both reached their hundreds fast, and they continued to put pressure on the bowlers from Pakistan.
The pair eventually put on a partnership of 296 runs, which is the highest partnership for the second wicket in ODI cricket. Rizwan was eventually dismissed for 171, but Mendis went on to score 173, which is the highest individual score by a Sri Lankan batsman in an ODI match.
Sri Lanka eventually chased down Pakistan’s target with seven wickets in hand, and they won the match by seven wickets. Rizwan and Mendis were both named the Man of the Match for their incredible batting performances.
How Rizwan and Mendis’ Innings Helped Sri Lanka to Win the Match
Rizwan and Mendis’ innings helped Sri Lanka to win the match in a number of ways.
- Rizwan and Mendis joined together at the crease with Sri Lanka trailing 2-1, giving Sri Lanka a strong start. They quickly settled into their innings and began to rotate the strike. This gave Sri Lanka a solid platform to build on.
- They scored runs at a fast pace: Rizwan and Mendis scored runs at a fast pace throughout their innings. This helped Sri Lanka to keep up with the required run rate and to put pressure on the Pakistani bowlers.
- They hit boundaries with regularity: Rizwan and Mendis both hit 18 fours in their innings. This helped Sri Lanka to score runs quickly and to take the pressure off the other batsmen.
The Significance of Rizwan and Mendis’ Innings
Rizwan and Mendis’ innings was significant for a number of reasons.
- It was the highest partnership for the second wicket in ODI cricket: Rizwan and Mendis’ partnership of 296 runs is the highest partnership for the second wicket in ODI cricket. This is a testament to their batting ability and their ability to work together as a pair.
- It helped Sri Lanka to win their first ODI series against Pakistan in over four years: Sri Lanka had not won an ODI series against Pakistan since 2018. Rizwan and Mendis’ innings helped Sri Lanka to break that drought and to win the series by 2-1.
- It showed that Rizwan and Mendis are two of the best batsmen in the world: Rizwan and Mendis’ innings was a reminder that they are two of the best batsmen in the world. They are both consistent run scorers and they are capable of producing match-winning innings.
Mohammad Rizwan and Kusal Mendis produced a batting masterclass in Sri Lanka’s victory over Pakistan in the second ODI match at the R. Premadasa Stadium in Colombo. They both smashed 18 fours in their innings, and they put on a partnership of 296 runs, which is the highest partnership for the second wicket in ODI cricket.
Sri Lanka won the series 2-1 and the match by seven wickets thanks to the knocks of Mendis and Rizwan. Their performance was a reminder that they are two of the best batsmen in the world, and they will be key figures for their respective teams in the upcoming ODI World Cup.